Saving Red: Poetry Review (LS 5663 Module #3)














Saving Red: Poetry Review


BIBLIOGRAPHY
Sones, Sonya. Saving Red. New York, NY: Harper Teen. ISBN-13: 978-0-06-237028-0

SUMMARY/ANALYSIS
The verse novel tells of teenage Molly, a girl who is desperate to save and help an older, homeless teen named Red find her way back home. The novel flows effortlessly, each page or two as a different poem written in free verse, using Molly’s voice to narrate the events. Reading this I was instantly brought back to being a teenager, easily adopting my past fourteen-year-old mentality while gaining insight into Molly’s world. As we follow Molly on her journey to help Red, we learn how this is an acting of healing, helping her deal with the loss and regret of her older brother’s disappearance. With pain, first love, learning to cope, and even warm moments with therapy dog Pixel, this verse novel has much to offer its reader in this emotional, captivating tale. There are no images providing, but this is no way takes away from the book, as it is rich in emotion, experience, and depth.

None of the free verse poems within this verse novel feel forced, instead seeming to follow natural language and thought processes that a teen girl would have. The language and expressions, even the at times overuse of exclamation marks, all add to the feeling of a young teen’s voice, creating a more authentic experience. Molly’s thoughts also provide the reader with much emotional and personal insight, serving to draw the reader in more and more, relating to Molly and her mix of emotions. For example, the poem segment called “It Takes Me Hours to Fall Asleep” is one that evokes true emotion within all that read it. It is relatable, as we have all been in stressful situations that affect our sleep (or lack thereof), but also relatable in knowing the awful dread that comes with having a nightmare. Towards the end of this segment Molly is caught in an awful nightmare where her brother is trapped in a coffin, and no matter how hard she tries, she cannot help him. The parts of the verse that stood out most to me are as follows:

and now I’m screaming too
and beating on the lid,

clawing at it, tearing at it
with broken, bloodied nails,

but I can’t pry it open…
I can’t…

I can’t!

Just this small part does an incredible job of conveying desperation, panic, and the immense fear Molly is feeling during this nightmare. The use of wording, spaces, and punctuation only help in doing so.  I was on edge reading this, and the free verse language serves to place us as readers right there with Molly, trapped in her terrible dream. The whole verse novel was like this for me; whether moments of happiness, love, despair, panic, or pain, I always felt like I was right there with the book’s protagonist Molly, feeling, seeing, and hearing all that she did. I highly recommend this verse novel for older children, teens, young adults, and adults alike, as it is a wonderful experience from start to finish.

POEM PLUS “TAKE 5” ACTIVITIES
One of the poems that truly stuck out to me in terms of being an exemplary example of a poem that creates a relatable feel for its readers is the poem segment in the verse novel called “So I Write:”.  The way in which Sonya Sones lays out this poem, using two different fonts to differentiate between what Molly is typing in a message and what her thought process as she does so, serves to really put the reader in the moment. I could instantly relate to Molly as she typed something out, only to overthink her response, leading her to deleting it and trying again. We have all been here before, second guessing a messaging we are sending out, and the language and font use only strengthens that common human experience.

So I Write:
By Sonya Sones

Thanks for asking! I’m fine!
Just got some sunscreen in
My eyes.

But who puts on sunscreen
at ten thirty at night?
So I delete that and write:

Thanks for asking!
I’m OK!
Just the usual teen angst.

But that
makes me sound
like a total loser.

So I delete that too.
And suddenly
I find myself writing:

Have you ever done something
so stupid, so selfish,
so just plain wrong,
that you wish you could turn back the clock,
return to the scene of the crime, and
somehow keep yourself from committing it?

And then, before I have a chance
to change my mind---
I click send.

And I instantly wish I could
turn back the clock and keep myself
from sending that message!



Take 5 Activities
1.    Read this poem aloud to the class, having them reflect on their experiences on hesitantly answering a text or message.
2.    Reread the poem once again, having one half of the group read her typed messages, and the other half read her narration aloud together.
3.    Reflect on the poem together and talk about the different feelings Molly is feeling during this poem. Is she experiencing insecurity? Doubt? Fear? Regret?
4.    Link this poem to the picture book A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret H.  Holmes (Magnination PR, 200), and learn about Sherman’s bad experience and how he dealt with his mixed emotions. Compare Sherman and Mollly’s experiences. Do you think they shared similar feelings? Could Molly benefit from talking to a counselor like Sherman did?
5.    Link this poem to another similar poem dealing with mixed emotions such as regret, doubt, guilt, etc., called “Brain Dead” by Isobel Landrum (Family Friend Poems, https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/brain-dead). How do Isobel’s feelings compare to Molly’s? How are they the same? How are they different? 

Comments